Friday, April 08, 2011

Sometimes you have to laugh so you won't scream

I fully admit that I probably don't keep up with news outside of my state or national news, so when things like teacher's unions in Wisconsin or gay rights issues in Indiana are happening I usually am out of the loop until it gets big enough to hit national news (or the Advocate, whichever comes first).

So when I saw this link on Autostraddle about the push for anti-sodomy laws to be removed from the books in Montana being stalled because of a 75 year old Mormon Republican Senator...well I was intrigued. I haven't kept up with this particular piece of legislation so I read the article and it was the typical "gays are going to try to recruit people by having public sex and kissing people of the same sex right out in the open where anyone can see it! Oh god! Won't someone think of the children!!!" bullshit that typically happens when the religious right gets involved in anything to do with gay rights.

There was nothing particularly amusing or different all, until I came to this quote from Ken Peterson, the senator in question.
“Homosexuals can’t go out into the heterosexual community and try to recruit people, or try to enlist them in homosexual acts,” Peterson says.'

So far, very normal right? At least until he takes a turn into batshit crazy land and nearly succeeded in making me choke on my Starbucks for the second time in two days. (Maybe I should stop drinking coffee while I'm reading news articles, but it's a morning tradition now. Coffee, news, crazy things religious people say, coughing and choking on coffee.)
Anyway, this is what he said.

'He provides an example: “‘Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let’s go in this bedroom, and we’ll engage in some homosexual acts. You’ll find you like it.”

For one thing, no one talks like that!* For another thing, gay people aren't in the practice of randomly seducing straight people they meet on the street...at least not normally. And lastly, "young man"? Lesbians are still invisible to politicians apparently...I feel like marching up the driveway of this morons house, dressed in flannel and carrying a sign that says "Hey, aren't you worried about lesbians seducing young women into "homosexual acts" as well?"

*sigh*

I laugh at this idiot, because if I didn't I would likely cry. Oh humanity...I'm losing my faith in your intelligence.


*Okay, I may have once said something similar to that when I was slightly drunk at a party with a straight female friend, but it was a joke...mostly...and the phrasing of it was the alcohol's fault since I have two drunk settings, Southern and overly proper and classy.

No comments: