Friday, April 01, 2011

April Fool's Day

This is my least favorite holiday. You want to know why? It's because it entices people all around me to be assholes and then follow it up with "April Fools! Got you!" like that makes their douche-baggery more acceptable somehow.

My family also has a habit of playing very annoying practical jokes on me. I'm hoping that since I'm no longer living at home that will be more difficult to pull off. Last year they pinned a sheet over my bedroom door and filled the space between the door and the sheet with a wall of packing peanuts so that I got a face full of Styrofoam when I opened the door...yeah, funny now, not so funny when I was running late for History class.

Part of my hatred for this holiday is probably caused by my inability to come up with good pranks. If I could actually prank my family or friends really well I bet I would love April Fool's, but my creativity with writing does not stretch to practical jokes as well and so the hate continues.

I do have to admit that I love the jokes that big companies play on their insignificant minions. Google is always pulling something strange. Suck as last year's joke which involved them changing their company name from Google to Topeka.
Despite claims by friends that they have done something to their logo for April Fool's this year, well, I haven't spotted it. The Google main page looks the same as ever. Though they have pulled yet another winning Gmail joke, with the addition of "Google Motion" a way to access your email using body language and your built in webcam...using ridiculous body motions.

But...I have to pull a Kanye here. Google you have a great April Fool's day joke every year and I'mma let you finish, but...THE BBC HAD THE BEST APRIL FOOL'S JOKE EVER!*

In 1957 the BBC ran a broadcast about how the Spaghetti farms in Italy had a bumper crop that year, complete with video of men and women "harvesting" the spaghetti off of trees. The joke was carried out so well that some BBC viewers believed it and were calling in, asking where they could get their own spaghetti tree or how they could grow one. I'm paraphrasing, but I believe one of the responses from a news anchor was something like "Put a piece of spaghetti in a jar of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

For those of you that think the British have no sense of humor...clearly you haven't been paying attention.

*Link with the article and a the video that was used in the broadcast.

No comments: