Friday, April 01, 2011

And my good mood is gone, just like that.

I finish a light-hearted romp through the history of April Fool's Day and then check my Facebook, only to see this update:

Human Rights Campaign
 A link telling me that "the Colorado House Judiciary committee voted 6 to 5 against SB172, the Civil Unions Bill." This broke my heart, because I just can't understand why. I never did anything to these people, but they can't stand who I am. I have never met them, but they would prefer I die alone than be allowed to get married. They know nothing about me, but they feel they have the right to dictate who I can love.

This isn't the first, or even the biggest, upset on our road to equal rights, but it hurt so much more because it's so close to home, literally. I've vacationed in Colorado, it's a beautiful place that I would dearly love to spend more time in. The mountains around Durango and Silverton, the Skyway, the forests and lakes are things I could imagine waking up to every morning if I could ever become less of a city girl, but this tarnishes that. I think of Colorado and I can't think of the beauty there, or the fact that a close friend lives there, all I can think about is this ruling.

I used to dream of living in a place like that one day.
Politically and rationally speaking I know that their are more important things to be taken care of right now. Our country is in a mess, a big one, but emotionally...that's another story. I feel like someone tied a boulder to my heart and then let it fall off a cliff. It just hurts and that stops everything from looking as beautiful as it once did.

No comments: