Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's day song

A huge number of Broadway actors, actresses and directors have given an answer to "what is the most romantic Broadway love song?" and while I am neither an actress, nor a director I thought I would pick a romantic song for today as well.*

Ironically I was going through my iTunes and looking for a romantic song and I ended up picking two, one of which is a Broadway song.

My first choice is my favorite song of all time and it is Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls. The lyrics and music are just love to me, have been ever since I heard the song when I was 15.


 My second choice is one that has been near to my heart for several years. I'll Cover You from RENT.

**
While I'm sure some RENTheads would disagree with me, I don't think that Mimi and Roger are the most romantic couple in the play. Angel and Collins have held that spot from the moment I watched the movie and became of obsessed with all things RENT. The song is about real love, taking care of each other when the other can not and loving in spite of knowing that they may not have much time with each other, both being infected with HIV.

And perhaps it is my favorite also because of the reprise, which always has me in tears whether I'm watching the movie, seeing the play on stage or just listening to my iPod.


So, that's my choices for romantic songs this year. We'll see what happens next year.


*I'm single and Valentine's day kinda sucks this year...but I'm trying to stay upbeat.
**These videos are from the RENT movie, not nearly as awesome as the play, but finding video from the recorded live show would have been so much harder.

No comments: