Tuesday, February 08, 2011

I find this incredibly romantic

Mostly because swans mate for life. I mean, hell, they have a 6% divorce rate in this particular species. They are doing better than the USA.

I've always been fascinated by homosexual tendencies in animals because they simply prove that, yes, homosexuality is natural. I highly doubt Black Swans males are getting together because of the evil influences of Will and Grace.

An estimated one-quarter of all black swans pairings are homosexual and they steal nests, or form temporary threesomes with females to obtain eggs, driving away the female after she lays the eggs. More of their cygnets survive to adulthood than those of different-sex pairs, possibly due to their superior ability to defend large portions of land. The same reasoning has been applied to male flamingo pairs raising chicks.
The entire article on Wikipedia that I took that from is quite fascinating, but it was the swans that caught my attentions. Swans, as I said, generally mate for life and what is more romantic than that?

No long opinion piece today, just swans...gay swans. I want to meet a woman I could be with for life...gah, I'm getting hopelessly romantic again.

No comments: