Sunday, February 20, 2011

Book Review: Blackveil - Kristen Britain

Okay, this is less of a book review and more of a preview I suppose.

About the Blackveil: Book Four Of Green Rider 

The long-awaited sequel to Green Rider, First Rider's Call, and The High King's Tomb. 

Once a simple student, Karigan G'ladheon finds herself in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand when she becomes a legendary Green Rider-one of the magical messengers of the king. Forced by magic to accept a dangerous fate she would never have chosen, headstrong Karigan has become completely devoted to the king and her fellow Riders. 

But now, an insurrection led by dark magicians threatens to break the boundaries of ancient, evil Blackveil Forest-releasing powerful dark magics that have been shut away for a millennium

I've been reading the Green Rider series since it first came out. I remember picking the first book up in the Greenwood library in Arkansas one day when I was bored. It was Kristen Britain's very first published novel. (As a struggling novelist myself, I hold no illusions that it was her first novel...since we all write a few pieces of crap before we right anything good.)
I've read the first three books...or the first two and a half. For some reason the last one that she wrote (The High King's Tomb) was dull and dry in comparison to the first two (Green Rider and  First Rider's Call), which were exciting and fresh feeling for the fantasy genre. I feel she let the third book become to bogged down by political intrigue and a hopeless and melodramatic love affair between the main character and the king. I read the first half of the book and then skipped ahead to the end and read the last two chapters. Since then I have occasionally pulled out my copy (my parent's bought me a hardback copy when the third book was freshly published) and I have skimmed chapters, waiting for the sequel to come out and now that it has (Blackveil) I am a little apprehensive about buying it.
What if I spend that money and the fourth book is as dry as the third! It has certainly been a while since the third book came out, but will that have made a change for the better or worse in Britain's style of writing? I don't know yet, but the same tenacity that made me attempt to read all of the Harry Potter books (I failed...I can't stand Rowling's writing style. The movies are amusing, her writing is not.) means I will undoubtedly be purchasing the book to at least attempt reading it. Of course, given the move of publishing and bookstores to electronic publishing I will probably be forced to buy the ebook format that it was published in on February 1st...Penguin books probably won't opt for a paper version. I guess I need to get and ebook reader and that depresses me, but that's a topic for another day.

I'll read the book and write a review when I'm done. I'm going to try to incorporate book reviews as a regular thing on this blog since reading and writing are so important to me.

In other news (specifically blog news) I am now writing my blogs using Scribefire Next which is a neat little tool which lets you blog in a box at the bottom of your internet screen. They have a version for Google Chrome and one for Firefox (which is what I use) and it's proving to be extremely wonderful for writing opinion pieces since I don't have to flip between tabs as much while writing. If you have any problems with my blog lay out because I'm no longer using Blogger to write my posts, let me know and I'll do my best to address the problem.

No comments: