Saturday, January 30, 2010

Possibly the two most different courses of study on the planet


Yeah...I'm weird. I'm getting a B.F.A in Writing and get teaching certification and then I want to work toward getting my Masters in Criminology. Those two courses of study are possibly the most different in the world. In one case I want to write and teach and in the other I want to carry a gun and hunt down the bad guys in the world.

I guess I've just seen one to many bad thing happen in the world. I feel like I can't just sit back and do nothing. I want to teach and help students, but at the same time it feels like that won't ever make a real impact on the world. That's probably not true, but it's how I feel.

For a long time in my life there have been two things that I really loved and wanted to do. I wanted to teach and become a published author, that's just the things that seemed important to me. Over the past few years the idea of law enforcement really took on another part of my mind. The truth is that the idea of police work, on a small scale, doesn't really appeal to me. The idea of working with a federal agency is appealing though.
Because of that I'm trying to take some of the basic Sociology courses while I'm getting my B.F.A. so that when I go on to get my Masters I won't have many prerequisite classes to catch up on. I'm also going to work on Krav Maga quite a bit and hope to get to an advanced level and study a couple of languages.

I have a feeling it'll take a few years to get where I want to be, but I'm young. I have time to reach my goals, but that's no reason to put off planning out what needs to be done to get there. I'm already looking at which colleges I would like to go to for my Masters. I figure during my Junior year as an Undergrad I will need to start applying or at least inquiring about programs.

I would have though that my parents would think this dream was crazy, but they've been surprisingly supporting of my goal in life. My dad is even making plans to take me the shooting range so I can begin learning gun safety and marksmanship. My mom is offering to buy me books on criminology so I can begin some outside reading, just for fun.

It's nice to have dreams, I'm glad that mine seem within my grasp.

No comments: