Thursday, January 21, 2010

Krav Maga


For Christmas my parents offered to pay for a year of self defense classes. I think they worry about me going to live in New York, specifically Brooklyn. The last 6 months of that year will be in NYC hopefully, but until then I needed to find a martial art that would be easy to learn, a good work out and useful in a real fight. I decided to check out Krav Maga, which is an israeli designed martial art that is used for combating terrorists. A lot of U.S. Military and Police officers train in the style, because it's actually very useful in a real fight and it's easy to learn.

I found out tonight that it is all the things I was looking for, especially the workout part. I'm extremely sore as a write this. My legs feel like cooked spaghetti and my arms are just plain tired. On the other hand, I picked up techniques quickly and they stuck in my mind. That was never the case when I was taking Aikido.

Techniques in Aikido are very stylized and one step always comes after the other. Each attack is done a certain way. When I missed a step I'd forget what to do next and freeze up. I always felt stupid in the class, because I never was able to memorize the steps for attacks and I never felt that what I learned would actually help me in a fight.

Krav Maga is certainly different. I learned the techniques and put them to use. The fighting style is fast and dirty, they aren't looking for an honorable and fair fight and neither will an attacker if they want to harm you. I'm definitely going back and if there is a Krav Maga school near where you live I'd reccomend going to take at least one class. If it's not your cup of tea then fine, but the ability to protect yourself is a precious one and this style will definitely do that.

No comments: