Saturday, November 28, 2009

A fictional book


Mercedes Lackey has long been a favorite Fantasy Author of mine. Her book "Bedlam's Bard", that she co-wrote with Ellen Guon, sparked a love of Urban Fantasy for me. Previous to reading these books I had been a fan of High Fantasy, along the same vein as Tolkien or R.A. Salvatore (as I mentioned in another post).

Urban Fantasy books are characterized by the fact that they take the normal elements of fantasy (Elves, dwarves, magic, dragons and sword fighting) and place them in the rather anachronistic setting of the modern world. Fantasy has always been a sort of escape for me, a way to imagine a world where fantastic things could occur and I could dream of being a part of those adventures. Urban Fantasy simply made it easier to imagine myself in those situations.

The story of "Bedlams' Bard" revolves around the life of Eric Banyon. At one time he attended Juliard and had a bright future ahead of him as a classical musician. Unfortunately he possessed powers that he could not understand and he ended up running from his life at Juliard because of them. At the beginning of the book he is living in L.A., doing drugs, drinking and playing at Renaissance faires to make his living. His magic awakens an Elven lord who had been placed in a drugged sleep and Eric is recognized as one of the rarely born human bards. He is then of course drawn into a life or death scenario, featuring duals, beautiful Femme Fatales and of course the objective of saving the lives of all of the Elves in Los Angeles.
The story is the first in a series, which I dearly hope will be continued. The latest book of the series "Music to my Sorrow" was published in 2007 and I await another installment.

No comments: